My estranged father just died and I was left out of the will. Do I have a claim to his estate?

You may have a claim to your father’s estate. Under the Wills Estate and Succession Act a will-maker has a legal, ethical and moral obligation to provide for any spouse or spouses and any biological and adopted children. If a child was not adequately provided for in a parent’s will, that child may be able to bring a Wills Variation claim meaning that the Supreme Court of BC may vary the distribution as set out in the will to make it more equitable.

Any guidance provided is not covered by solicitor–client privilege, nor is it taking into consideration all of the facts of your matter beyond those in the question. The legal information is specific to British Columbia Law. If you want a more thorough and case-specific analysis of your legal matter, please contact us to arrange a consultation.

Get a personal consultation.

What can we help you with? *
Who would you like to meet with? *