I’m living in my ex’s family home which he owned before we got married. Should I move out?

When breaking up, the decision to move out is a tricky one. This is the moment you need legal advice the most. Staying in a home with your ex can lead to tension and may not be good for your kids. But leaving the house without an agreement or court order leaves you vulnerable. One option is to go to court and ask that you stay in the house. Courts make a distinction between dividing family property and where children get to live before the property is divided. Alternatively, you could ask that a parenting agreement be signed before you move out.

Any guidance provided is not covered by solicitor–client privilege, nor is it taking into consideration all of the facts of your matter beyond those in the question. The legal information is specific to British Columbia Law. If you want a more thorough and case-specific analysis of your legal matter, please contact us to arrange a consultation.

Get a personal consultation.

What can we help you with? *
Who would you like to meet with? *