top of page

Q: Could I be paying child support for years after my child turns 18?

Updated: Feb 11, 2022

A: Under certain circumstances yes, it is definitely true! Under the Family Law Act of British Columbia, A child can remain a child for the purposes of child support for many years after they turn 18 as long as they are attending full-time post-secondary studies and are living at home or in residence. The other circumstance where this could happen is when a child is deemed to be unable to live independently because of a disability. The modern family is changing with the times, and it is more and more common for our adult children to remain at home while they obtain their education.

*Any guidance provided is not covered by solicitor client privilege, nor is it taking into consideration all of the facts of your matter beyond those in the question. The legal information is specific to British Columbia Law. If you want a more thorough and case-specific analysis of your legal matter please CONTACT US to arrange a consultation.

bottom of page