top of page

Q: my exs appeal is going through provincial court and supreme court. I'm lost with how this works

Updated: Mar 2

A: Let me just say, you’re not alone in being lost. It’s a complex, and sometimes downright confusing process. That’s why its important to get a good lawyer who can talk you through it. The BC Provincial Court doesn’t have the authority to grant you a divorce, so that’s why it goes to the BC Supreme Court, or BCSC. The BCSC is something of a renaissance court. It can serve to provide judgements on issues never heard before in Court, but it can also be used to address issues already addressed in court if it feels like the outcome in the BC Provincial Court wasn’t right or was unjust through a process called appeal where the lower court decision can be reserved if that judge made a mistake.

*Any guidance provided is not covered by solicitor client privilege, nor is it taking into consideration all of the facts of your matter beyond those in the question. The legal information is specific to British Columbia Law. If you want a more thorough and case-specific analysis of your legal matter please CONTACT US to arrange a consultation.

bottom of page