top of page

Q: My hours got cut back at work. What'll happen if I stop paying my child support

A: You need to ask your ex if she will agree to a consent order varying the support payments. Otherwise, you will need to make a court application right away. If you refuse to pay child support or just unilaterally lower your support payments, then you could be sanctioned by the court. Also, the government body known s the Family Maintenance Enforcement Program could go to court on your ex-wife’s behalf to enforce payment of the arrears. Child support is the right of the child and must be paid. But where you are earning less money though no fault of your own and that this change in circumstances was unexpected, you can ask the court to lower the child support amount.

*Any guidance provided is not covered by solicitor client privilege, nor is it taking into consideration all of the facts of your matter beyond those in the question. The legal information is specific to British Columbia Law. If you want a more thorough and case-specific analysis of your legal matter please CONTACT US to arrange a consultation.

bottom of page