top of page

Q: What can my lawyer do when the courts are closed due to the COVID-19 Crisis?

Updated: Oct 15, 2020

A: There are many ways that Swiftsure Law can help you while the British Columbia Court System is closed.

Your legal team can make an urgent application in Supreme Court or in Provincial Court using the postal system and the online filing systems. Some examples of what is currently being accepted in our local courts include:

  • Suspension of parenting time against an existing order or agreement.

  • Safety of children during COVID-19 Crisis.

  • Child abduction

  • Suspension of travel plans

  • Enforcement of orders/agreements

If the courts agree to hear your matter, they will do so via telephone, video-conferencing or written submissions. Swiftsure Law is currently running several urgent applications for parenting time and successfully re-instating the pre-crisis parenting arrangement.

Matters can always be resolved outside of the court system using mediation and arbitration. Mediation is where you hire a senior lawyer to help parties find common ground and make agreements without attending court. A mediator cannot make a decision for you. Arbitration is where you hire a senior lawyer to act as a private judge and provide a binding answer for the parties. Swiftsure Law has identified those arbitrators and mediators who are working by videoconference during the COVID-19 crisis to provide quick resolution for our clients.

Your legal team will continue to represent you and your interests remotely throughout these uncertain times.

*Any guidance provided is not covered by solicitor client privilege, nor is it taking into consideration all of the facts of your matter beyond those in the question. The legal information is specific to British Columbia Law. If you want a more thorough and case-specific analysis of your legal matter please CONTACT US to arrange a consultation.

bottom of page